Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 21st, 2021, 8:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Cal Classic Forum « Scenery Project Announcements »

Cal Classic Forum
   General
   General Discussion
(Moderator: Tom Gibson)
   Scenery Project Announcements
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Scenery Project Announcements  (Read 75176 times)
Tom Gibson
Forum Administrator

Jets are for Kids!

Scenery Project Announcements
« on: Jun 18th, 2007, 3:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

This is the place to announce that you are going to create retro scenery for a given airport or scenery.  You should probably limit this to the era of this site (1950 to 1970), simply because people interested in other eras won't be looking here.

Please don't post if you don't have a timetable for completion - this is a thread for sceneries that should be released within a year or so of the announcement.
IP Logged

Tom Gibson

California Classic Propliners: http://www.calclassic.com/

AlcoHauler Locomotive Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco/

Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/
Randy
Connie

I'm old, I fly old planes.  What was the question?

Re: Scenery Project Announcements
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19th, 2007, 10:20am »

I am currently working on both Wichita Municipal Air Terminal(KICT) ca. 62, as well as Kansas City Municipal(KMKC) ca. 62 at this time.

So far, Wichita is to the point of working out the texturing issues and detailing the property, and with any luck(and if I can avoid the proverbial Mack Truck), Wichita should be ready for early testing in the next couple of months.

I've just started work on KMKC, but have the AFCAD done as well as the excludes.  I still have a distance to go on KMKC, though, developing buildings, textures, etc.

If anyone would like to work on one of these projects with me, or has comments/suggestions/questions, please drop me a line.  My Email is rwhistler at sbcglobal dot net.
IP Logged

Classiflight 22, Take next taxiway, contact Ground on 123.45, G'day.

Randy
Kristopher
Seven Seas

"I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!"

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19th, 2007, 1:12pm »

on Jun 19th, 2007, 10:20am, Randy wrote:
I am currently working on both Wichita Municipal Air Terminal(KICT) ca. 62, as well as Kansas City Municipal(KMKC) ca. 62 at this time.

So far, Wichita is to the point of working out the texturing issues and detailing the property, and with any luck(and if I can avoid the proverbial Mack Truck), Wichita should be ready for early testing in the next couple of months.

I've just started work on KMKC, but have the AFCAD done as well as the excludes.  I still have a distance to go on KMKC, though, developing buildings, textures, etc.

If anyone would like to work on one of these projects with me, or has comments/suggestions/questions, please drop me a line.  My Email is rwhistler at sbcglobal dot net.

That reminds me, I also have Kansas City Fairfax on the Kansas side of the river, but there are no buildings, just the AFCAD.  That's a needed classic airport since it was TWA's maintenance base before they finally got fed up with the flooding and moved to Mid-Continent in 1965 (KMCI, not KICT) - if anyone wants the AFCAD so they can add the buildings, let me know.  I don't have many photos of the airport beyond the terminal, which is why I haven't done more than the AFCAD.
IP Logged

Kristopher Crook,
Webmaster / Data Supplier / Painter / Retro AFCAD Design,
RetroAI Traffic Group,
http://www.retroai.org
Jesse
Seven Seas

Props are for the Big Boys

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19th, 2007, 5:18pm »

I noticed that Tom in his article wanted someone to possibley do SAS, KLM, and some of the other EU carriers from the early period.  I fired off an email to SAS in Sweden requesting an old time table from the early 60s.  I had a reply back saying they would see what they could do.  I'm waiting and hoping.  I was more interested in the SAS flights that crossed Greenland.  SAS built a really nice hotel at Sondrestrom for their crew changes and rest stops.  We would come down off the ice cap once a month to do our shopping and etc. and I usually stayed at the SAS hotel instead of the BOQ.

Jesse
IP Logged

I don't fix'em I just fly'em

Tom Gibson
Forum Administrator

Jets are for Kids!

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19th, 2007, 5:58pm »

Hi Jesse,

The SAS (1963 edition) is already covered by the link found in the "We need Volunteers" thread:

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/sk6304a.htm

Manuel will be doing that.

But other European timetables would be great.

Re: non-USA schedules: I'm hopefully getting BOAC from Richard, SAS and Lufthansa from Manuel, Finnair, Kar-Air, Interflug, Cohata, and United Arab from Mike and myself, and I've received Aden, APSA, Austral, Iran, Iraq, Ghana, Loftliedir, Persian AS, TAI, and Tunis Air from Jason.

For the US I've done American, Paul's done TWA and is doing Continental and Northwest, Quink's doing United (did you receive it? check your yahoo email), Jason is doing Pan Am, Eastern, and Delta, and most others were from the early 60's anyway.  

And this discussion really should be in the "Volunteer's Needed" thread, since this thread is for future airport projects.  Smiley

Thanks,
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2007, 6:00pm by Tom Gibson » IP Logged

Tom Gibson

quink99
ConvairLiner

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19th, 2007, 6:46pm »

Tom,

As of yet I have not recieved your email with the United flights.  I checked my email address in "PROFILE" and it is correct.  

I'm all set to begin as soon as they get here.

Quink
IP Logged
Randy
Connie

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 7:16am »

Kris, unless someone else takes you up on the offer, I can add Fairfax to my Kansas City portion.  I've got a couple of reference sites that speak to Fairfax, but not too much. . .   I know GM took over Fairfax, and KMCI opened in 1972(IIRC).  Was Fairfax still operational around the early '60's??

Of course, if someone else wants to take it on, that's fine too. . .   Wink

edit:  I've since discovered that Fairfax was operational clear into the 80's, so that answers my question about when it was operational.  The AFCAD, however, looks like it was a monster to create and deal with.
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2007, 7:28am by Randy » IP Logged

Randy
Tom Gibson
Forum Administrator

Jets are for Kids!

« Reply #7 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 1:05pm »

Hi Quink,

I sent it out on Monday to your yahoo address; check the Bulk folder in case it got classified as spam.

Hope this helps,
IP Logged

Tom Gibson

Randy
Connie

« Reply #8 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 7:15am »

Speaking of Fairfax, KMKC & KMCI. . . .  does anyone know what the original configuration of Kansas City Mid Continent would have been around 62?  Since I'll be obliterating the existing KMCI in the 62 KC scenery, I'd like to recreate it as close as possible.

Since it's been remodeled and changed, none of the usual suspects have any information about the original look of KMCI. . . .   or at least I can't find any.

Any help appreciated!
IP Logged

Randy
r8
ConvairLiner

GUEST AIRWAYS     THE ROUTE OF THE SUN!

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 29th, 2007, 5:47pm »

Puerto Aereo Central (Mexico City) 1960's

MMMX

but first I've got to learn how to use GMAX  Grin
IP Logged

Randy
Connie

« Reply #10 on: Jun 29th, 2007, 7:58pm »

Well, if I can learn GMax, anyone can!!   Wink  Don't get discouraged, it has a learning curve, no doubt.  It's not an easy program just to pick up, but once you figure it out, it's really fascinating how quickly you get comfortable.  It won't take forever, but it'll sure feel like it a couple of times!!  Shocked  Grin.

You'll hit a lot of bumps in the road.  A lot.   There's a vast amount of knowledge here, though, with even more patience with stupid questions!!!  Take a look here in the forum, for some posts about texture creation, etc.  I'll try to find some of the specific ones that helped me the most.

I'm sure that others around here can point you to tutorials and the like, too.  You'll be amazed at the amount of knowledge. . . .
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2007, 8:00pm by Randy » IP Logged

Randy
Jens B. Kristensen
Electra

« Reply #11 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 1:45pm »

Hi all,

Some months ago I made a Copenhagen Airport (Kastrup, EKCH) 1960 scenery for my own use. I'm beginning to like it, but would like a second opinion before I upload it to avsim or wherever. Just one or two volunteer beta testers would be nice.

1960 was the year the 'new' terminal (now terminal 2) was opened:

...but the old 40's-50's terminal was still in limited use, so I have included a few gates there as well:

Best regards

Jens

« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2007, 1:51pm by Jens B. Kristensen » IP Logged

Jens B. Kristensen
Denmark
Randy
Connie

« Reply #12 on: Jul 5th, 2007, 7:34am »

Jens, I know absolutely nothing about Kastrup, but would be happy to help if I can.  I think I can certainly figure out how to take off and land, and probably taxi. . . LOLOL

Besides, it'll be a great opportunity to learn from your experiences!!!

If I can help, let me know.  My email is wyldstreak at sbcglobal dot net if I can help!
IP Logged

Randy
ravilamir
Starliner

Old planes don't die

Email

Re: Scenery Project Announcements,
« Reply #13 on: Jul 5th, 2007, 7:37pm »

Hi Jens

Your airport looks stunning, especially the old terminal designed by Vilhelm Lauritzen who, incidentally, also designed the Terminal 2. It is considered one of the best examples of Nordic Functionalism. This seems to be a fitting tribute to one of the largest and busiest airports in Europe at your time frame. Indeed, it won in 1956 the award for world's best airport.

Please keep up the good work and I am hooping that you release it soon as I would be able to fly EGLL-EKCH using one of your nice planes.

ATB
IP Logged

Ricardo
Randy
Connie

« Reply #14 on: Jul 6th, 2007, 8:30am »

OK, I'm impressed.  Jens, I installed it yesterday with no problems, and it is a great piece of work!  I noticed a couple of things I'll send to you via Email later, as I need to go back and make sure it isn't my problem, but this is a great bit of work!!

For those who are anxiously waiting - it'll be worth the wait!  Jens has done an amazing job on this retro airport. . .
IP Logged

Randy
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Cal Classic Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.