This page will generally be limited to post-WWII propliners that flew in
or into California on a scheduled or regular charter basis, and US carriers
will have priority. (I hope others will develop similar pages for
other areas and for later /earlier airliners - let me know and I'll set
up a link!) I would like to thank everyone who has built, modified,
or helped with the planes and other resources on this page.
Search the Cal
Classic Propliners Site!
Click your browser's Back button to return here
FSX and P3D Information:
of my (i.e. Greg Pepper's) propliners (i.e. the CV-340, DC's, etc.)
have been tested in FSX and P3D v1 and v2 and they work OK. You may need to find
compatible blurred prop textures if you are using SP2 or later. Engine
start switches have the most problems when using FS9 panels. Sounds are
OK as is. Do not activate the supercharger gauge in FSX/Acceleration -
they are not compatible with the new flight model. If you get a
emergency power warning in the sim, put // in front of the line in the
plane's panel.cfg file that includes
Do you need help with installation? How
do I get my plane listed properly in the Select Aircraft menu? How
do I get ATC to call my plane using the correct airline, manufacturer,
and model? Take a look here first!
Note: Some of the file downloads are located in the
AVSIM and flightsim.com file libraries. You need to be logged in to
their file systems before the links will work directly.
|Are You Just Starting Out Flying Propliners?|
First, some instructions on using this site.
1. If no text link is provided, click the picture to download it.
The main page links are at the top of this page, alongside the
"post card". Information on the left side, downloads on the right.
Here is a checklist of things you might want to do to maximize your enjoyment.
1. Download and read the FSAviator Propliner Tutorial. It will give you most of what you need to know about flying propliners.
2, If you are using FSX or P3D, read the FSX Propliner Tutorial. This will give you instructions on setting up the views.
3. Download and install any aircraft Base Packs. They are listed on my Aircraft Page.
Download and install any other airline liveries to the Base
Packs. Follow the text files included in the Base Packs to add
these textures. Do NOT install complete aircraft when adding to a
Base Pack, only add the textures to the Base Pack.
5. Download and install any desired classic airport scenery packages from my Scenery Page.
Don't forget to add these as a layer in the Scenery Library.
The correct layering of the scenery layers can be found at the
top of my Scenery Page.
6. If you want worldwide classic AI traffic, download files 1-10 (at least) from my AI Aircraft Page
and install them. Follow the instructions in the traffic file
download to allow the use of modern traffic when you desire.
7. If you have any problems, head to my Forum.
Register and post a question there. Propliner questions
should be posted to the main Discussion Forum. If you are
interested, keep up with the latest developments right there in the
Hope you enjoy flying the propliners!
November 5, 2015
October 28, 2015
- New Scenery! The 1961 Bordeaux Merignac airport (LFBD) has been updated to an FSX/P3D version!
October 17, 2015
- New Scenery! Alejandro Ramirez and others have created Grenoble Mermoz in 1963!
August 16, 2015
- New FSX/P3D Classic Library mega pack using DDS textures! Conversion by Alejandro Ramirez.
August 4, 2015
- CalClassic Propliners has received the Editor's Choice Award from FS Magazin!
FS Magazin is a German magazine that publishes information about
the latest FS news and releases, along with in depth articles on many
aspects of Flight Sim. There will also be an article about this
site in the June 2015 issue, when released. I am honored that our
community has been chosen for this award!
May 4, 2015
- New Scenery! Juan Antonio Martinez Castro has created Melbourne and Brasilia airport scenery. Brasilia city scenery too!
February 4, 2015
- New Scenery! Mike Stevens and I have created version 7 of the California 1959/1962 project!
January 27, 2015
- Happy New Year!
- New Scenery!
- 1962 Oklahoma City airport scenery from Dan French!
December 16, 2014
- Happy Holidays to all of you!
- New Scenery!
- Harry Biard, Alejandro Ramirez, and Bernard Leuenberger have created Bordeaux 1961!
- Julius Czarnecki has created Caracas 1960!
October 16, 2014
- New Scenery!
- Chris Helton has created a new version of KJFK Idlewild for 1962 and 1958!
- Kenny Fox has created an FSX version of Kansas City Wheeler Downtown!
September 10, 2014
- New Scenery! Gérard Benoit, Alejandro Ramirez, Harry Biard, and Bernard Leuenberger have created Lyon Bron airport in 1960!
September 3, 2014
- Updated Aircraft! Bernward Bockheim has added a VC to the F-27, along with other improvements! All CC liveries have also been updated for the new model.
August 10, 2014
- New Scenery! Chris Helton has created Philadelphia Intl in 1962 and 1958!
July 20, 2014
April 17, 2014
- New FSX Scenery! Casey Brasel
has updated Liverpool Speke airport in 1960 to FSX!
April 5, 2014
- New Livery! Dennis Kim has painted up a 1960's United CV-340!
March 27, 2014
- New FSX Scenery! Kenny Fox, Bernward
Bockheim, and I have converted the FS2004 Hawaii 1959 scenery package to FSX!
March 24, 2014
- New Scenery! Julius Czarnecki
has created Istanbul airport in 1960!
March 15, 2014
- Classic Libraries for FSX now available! Install the FS2004 version, then the FSX update.
February 16, 2014
- New AI HQ Aircraft! Jaap de Baare has created an High Quality Viscount 800 from Rick Piper's original! (in AI File # Six).
February 14, 2014
- New Scenery! Charlotte Douglas
airport in 1961 by Julius Czarnecki!
February 8, 2014
- New Scenery! The Trucial
States 1961 scenery from Juan Antonio Martinez C. and Julius Czarnecki!
- Almost all medium and large Texas airports have been backdated to 1962 by
Juan Antonio Martinez C., Jorge Rechani and Al V. Pingel!
January 5, 2014
- New Scenery Improvement! Mike Stevens has modified a
library BGL file to remove the unrealisticly large default ships around
October 10, 2012
- Tutorials Updated! The FSX
Mini-Tutorial has been updated with new information about cfg settings
with widescreen monitors, the Repainting Tutorial has been
updated with new techniques for using DXTBmp, and the Sketchup Tutorial
has been updated to use the latest version of the Material Editor in ModelConverterX.
There is also a new tutorial on changing multiple colors at once using PSP
7.0. BTW, if you haven't read FSAviator's Propliner Tutorial,
please do it now!
October 21, 2010
- New Scenery Package!
Scenery Library. This file (175MB) contains almost all addon
scenery libraries needed by our classic sceneries. Once this is installed,
you can normally ignore the "download and install these scenery libraries"
advice in the text files.
February 23, 2010
- System 7 users - when adding scenery to the Scenery Library,
after finding the new scenery's folder and clicking OK, you will need
to right click the empty white space in that box so the box closes
and the new scenery is actually be added to the library.
February 1, 2010
- Classic Era Charts now
available! Thanks to several generous people we now can see how the
airlines flew into various airports back in our era. There are also airport
November 15, 2006
- New Tutorial! FSAviator has created a vintage
flying tutorial, for aircraft like the Ford Trimotor! It also includes
a flight dynamics tweak for the Trimotor!
July 29, 2004
- New Tutorial Quick Reference
File! FSAviator and I have created a Quick Reference guide for use
when actually flying an airliner route, using the techniques explained in
his tutorial (below). However, you must have read and understood the entire
tutorial first before you will be able to use the quick reference file.
July 20, 2004
- New FSAviator Propliner Tutorial!
This is it! The only tutorial written that describes in complete detail how
to fly the propliners like they really were flown in the classic era (from
1932 up to about 1955 in the USA, later in other areas). Most information
is completely applicable for flying in later years as well. It comes in text
file format, and includes 5 parts:
- General Operation of Propliners
- Flying the Ranges
- Flight Planning for Long and Short Distance Flights
This is an exhaustive tutorial that takes you through the details of each
phase of flight, and comes complete with approach plates for visual aids
(Adobe Acrobat required to view/print approach plates). The complete tutorial
is 1.1 MB. I printed it, read it, and now keep it by my computer for ready
reference! Copyright FSAviator July 2004.
June 15, 2002
- The California Classic page has a new home! We've
moved into our new home - www.calclassic.com, and I hope
that you like it.
March 14, 2000
- The Classic Airliner Page has become the California Classic Propliners
page! Same address as below.
January 18, 1996
- The Classic Airliner Page is born! Its original address
Jets are for kids!
Instructions for many problems and how to install aircraft, panels, and
Hi! I'm Tom Gibson, and I hope you enjoy my page.
If you have any questions, don't forget to check the Instructions
first!! You can get many questions answered by leaving a message
at the California
Classic Forum (propliner questions) or the FreeFlight
Forum (aircraft design questions). You can also send me email - this
is a despammed address - remove the
first t from the address!!
My other interests include railroads (especially Alco
diesels and the WP), computers, camping, fly fishing, and Modoc County (far
northeast California). Drop by again - soon!