This page will generally be limited to post-WWII propliners that flew in
or into California on a scheduled or regular charter basis, and US carriers
will have priority. (I hope others will develop similar pages for
other areas and for later /earlier airliners - let me know and I'll set
up a link!) I would like to thank everyone who has built, modified,
or helped with the planes and other resources on this page.
Search the Cal
Classic Propliners Site!
Click your browser's Back button to return here
I bought it, I installed it. I have determined that my sceneries are
not compatible. Therefore, I have decided not to pursue creating addons
for FSX at this time; we will still be creating for FS2004. However,
see below for compatibility information.
Most of my (i.e. Greg Pepper's) propliners (i.e.
the CV-340, etc.) have been tested in FSX and they work OK. You may
need to find compatible blurred prop textures if you are using SP2 or
later. Newer XML style gauges and panels appear to work best - old FS98
style gauges (developed as late as 2002) will not work in the sim. Thus
my v6 panels are NOT compatible - use the latest XML panels. Engine
start switches have the most problems when using FS9 panels. Sounds
are OK as is. Do not activate the supercharger gauge in FSX/Acceleration
- they are not compatible with the new flight model.
FS2004 Information: The more recent
GMAX and FSDS2 aircraft give the best results. You can tell
which planes are GMAX and FSDS2 aircraft on these pages by the fact
that the plane's picture is larger than the older,
Do you need help with installation? How
do I get my plane listed properly in the Select Aircraft menu? How
do I get ATC to call my plane using the correct airline, manufacturer,
and model? Take a look here first!
Note: Some of these files are located in the
AVSIM and flightsim.com file libraries. You need to be logged in to
their file systems before the links will work directly.
May 14, 2013
- New Scenery! Central Europe 1961
from Wolfgang Gersch, Harry Biard, Michael Schneider,Jaap de Baare, Nikko
Yaginuma, Tom Gibson, Bernard Leuenberger and Mike Stevens!
April 29, 2013
April 25, 2013
- New Links! The links page has been
updated with new ones!
April 22, 2013
- New Livery! One more DC-3 texture
conversion, this time from Dave McQueen's very nice MAAM-Sim textures!
April 19, 2013
- New Planes! I've converted the default DC-3
to display lettering correctly on both sides of the vertical stab, and to
be able to use the Awesum4sum texture mapping!
- New Liveries! I've converted Gary Harper's FSX Awesum4sum
DC-3 textures to use the CalClassic FS2004 model!
- New Livery! Dave McQueen's Pacific Airlines DC-3
for the MAAM-Sim DC-3!
April 12, 2013
- Updated Aircraft! Jens' DC-4 is now
- New Liveries! New ones for Jens' DC-4!
April 7, 2013
- Updated Scenery!
- Harry Biard, Jaap de Baare and Bernhard Leuenberger have created an
animated crash tender add on for the Nice (France) airport scenery!
- Al Courtney has added custom buildings to Julio and my Chicago ORD scenery!
It includes the Douglas plant and United and American hangars!
March 27, 2013
- New Scenery! Atlanta airport
in 1957, 1962, and 1972 from Dave Henderson, Juan Martinez and Stan Winke!
March 6, 2013
- New Livery! A later United DC-7 from
January 17, 2013
- Happy New Year!
- Updated Panels! The DC-6 and DC-7
panels have had the Polar Path Compass added, handy for using the autopilot
in polar regions!
December 23, 2012
- Updated Plane! Manfred Jahn's L-1649A
Starliner has been updated to version 4.0!
- New Scenery! Nice, France in
1960 from Harry Biard, Johan Dees, Jaap de Baare, Wolfgang Gersch, Nikko Yaginuma
and Tom Gibson!
December 17, 2012
December 3, 2012
- New Scenery! Al Courtney and
I have created the other major Alaskan airport, Fairbanks in 1962!
November 10, 2012
- New Scenery! Juan Antonio Martinez
Castro, Mike Stevens, and I have created Anchorage, Alaska, in 1959!
November 2, 2012
- New Scenery! Jorge Rechani has
created the TWA Headquarters in Kansas City, complete with a replica of the
Disneyland Moonliner on the roof!
October 16, 2012
- New Scenery!
- Julio Birman and I have created Chicago O'Hare in 1962!
- To go with Chicago, Juan Antonio Martinez Castro has created 1962 scenery
for 10 smaller Illinois airports!
October 10, 2012
- Tutorials Updated! The FSX
Mini-Tutorial has been updated with new information about cfg settings
with widescreen monitors, the Repainting Tutorial has been
updated with new techniques for using DXTBmp, and the Sketchup Tutorial
has been updated to use the latest version of the Material Editor in ModelConverterX.
There is also a new tutorial on changing multiple colors at once using PSP
7.0. BTW, if you haven't read FSAviator's Propliner Tutorial,
please do it now!
September 30, 2012
- New Planes! I've created the DC-7F
- All DC-6's and DC-7's now have improved flap display!
June 28, 2012
- New Scenery! Dan French has created
Greater Cincinnati Airport from 1963!
January 23, 2012
- New Scenery! Mike Stevens, assisted
by Wolfgang Gersch and Tom Gibson, has created/backdated over 100 airport
in the Asia Pacific 1962 scenery package!
January 20, 2012
- New Scenery! Juan Antonio Martinez
has created Lima Callao airport in 1965!
January 6, 2012 - Happy New Year!
October 9, 2011
- New Liveries! Frank Gonzalez has painted up F-27's
in new liveries: West Coast in 1966 and Pacific in 1967! All liveries now
have new prop textures from Mark Rogers!
October 5, 2011
- AI Traffic Fixes! Fixes for
aircraft display problems uploaded for files # 1, 2, and 4! MATS and Helicopter
traffic updated too!
October 3, 2011
- AI Traffic Update! New airlines,
new aircraft, and lots of new liveries! Updated MATS traffic too!
September 30, 2011
- Updated Aircraft! I've further improved the F-27A
below, and it is now FSX compatible!
September 21, 2011
- New Airport Scenery! Here is
Austin, Texas in 1961 by Juan Antonio Martinez!
September 19, 2011
- New Aircraft! With the kind permission of Mike Stone, I've
modified his Fokker F.27-200 into a better representation of a Fairchild F-27A!
September 16, 2011
- New Airport Scenery! Dan French
has created Houston in 1965 and San Antonio in 1966!
August 24, 2011
- Updated Aircraft! CalClassic has developed a new Lockheed
L-188 Electra Base Pack, complete with updated flight dynamics by FSAviator,
an updated Kevin Trinkle panel, and four different aircraft versions: Chris
Buff L-188A (PSA Orange Stripe) and L-188C (VARIG), and JR Lucariny L-188A
(PSA Red Stripe) and L-188C (Western 1959). Air California and Western 1968
textures also available! All Painted by Bill Schulz and Frank Gonzalez. Thanks!
- Improved Sound! The CV-580 allisonsnd
package has been improved with a "constant RPM" sound!
August 6, 2011
- New Aircraft Version! I have removed the black ADF "football"
antennas from the DC-6A model below, and equipped it with CB-16 engines. This
is common in the modern era. TheDC-6A CB-16 Base Pack
liveries consist of Northern Air Cargo (small spinners, painted by Jim Campisi)
and Everts Air Cargo (large spinner, painted by Dave James). Thanks!
August 3, 2011
- Updated Plane! The DC-6A now comes
in two versions, Combi and Freighter, featuring opening doors, cargo, and
April 4, 2011
- Updated Plane! I have updated Libardo Guzman's C-46
with many improvements, including a clearer VC!
February 28, 2011
- New Planes! Dave McQueen has painted up the MAAM-SIM DC-3
into the colors of the 3 Local Service Airlines in California - Bonanza, Southwest,
and West Coast!
February 10, 2011
- New FSX Plane! Bjoern Kesten has converted the FS2004 CV-580
for FSX SP2!
January 27, 2011
- New Scenery!
- Michael Schneider has created Moscow in 1963!
- Aleksey Rubtsov has created Moscow Bykovo (modern), and I have backdated
the airport layout!
January 19, 2011
- Happy New Year!
- New Scenery!
- Paul Young and Nikko Yaginuma have created Des Moines, IA in 1955!
- Wolfgang Gersch, Volker Boehme and Rui Cristina have updated Le Bourget
to version 2!
- New Aircraft! I have now linked to VBF textures for the
Transocean and American CV-240!
November 23, 2010
November 16, 2010
- Updated Panel! The Martin 404/202
panel now features a real Martin bitmap, thanks to Manfred Meyer and Ryan
October 21, 2010
- New Scenery Package!
Scenery Library. This file (175MB) contains almost all addon
scenery libraries needed by our classic sceneries. Once this is installed,
you can normally ignore the "download and install these scenery libraries"
advice in the text files.
October 20, 2010
- New Scenery! Wolfgang Gersch,
Harry Biard, Jaap de Baare, Mike Stevens, Nikko Yaginuma, Johan Dees and myself
have created classic airports for the entire continent of Africa!
October 12, 2010
- Updated Scenery! I have updated
the California 59/62 package with accurate airport layouts for all airports,
taken from period Jeppesen manuals!
- Updated Flight Dynamics! Volker Boehme has released updated
flight dynamics for the L-1649A Starliner! Be
sure to make the edits in my description after installation.
September 22, 2010
- Updated Planes! The Boeing 377 Stratocruiser
has updated flight dynamics, as well as an improved 2D panel and VC gauges!
It also now comes in separate versions for each original owner and RANSA too!
September 8, 2010
- New Planes! Hans Hermann and Georg Hauzenberger at Virtual
Bird Factory (VBF) have taken Greg Pepper's CV-240
and improved it!
June 28, 2010
- Updated Panel! I've upgraded the F-27
panel (in the Pacific Air Lines Base Pack) with new features, including slow
prop startup/shutdown, fuel trimming, a new overhead panel, Notepads, and
June 11, 2010
- Updated Planes! The DC-7 and DC-7B
Base Packs now feature opening doors, complete with stairs! The DC-6B,
DC-7, DC-7B, and DC-7C
Base Packs have also been improved with updated interior textures by Frank
Gonzales and myself - now you can see out of the windows from inside the cabin!
- Eric Joiner has updated his DC-6B, DC-7,
and DC-7C liveries to include opening door and interior
- New Scenery! Paul Young has created
Memphis in 1958!
May 11, 2010
- New Panels! Eric Joiner and myself have created new green
panel versions for the DC-6 and DC-7
panels! The DC-7 version makes the new EAL DC-7B that Eric painted up even
April 29, 2010
April 15, 2010
- New Plane! Gary Harper has painted up a California Central
- Aircraft Updates! All of "my" airplanes with
panels included have been updated with realistic slow prop rotation on starting
(FS2004 only), fuel dumping (DC-6/7), autofeather, and more! The DC-6 panel
also has had Robert Graf's Damage Module added! The Martin twins now are no
longer transparent at dusk/night! Updated planes include the AAL
CV-240, UAL CV-340, Pacific M202/M404, Southern M404
, UAL DC-6B, and UAL DC-7!
February 23, 2010
- System 7 users - when adding scenery to the Scenery Library,
after finding the new scenery's folder and clicking OK, you will need
to right click the empty white space in that box so the box closes
and the new scenery is actually be added to the library.
February 18, 2010
- New Scenery!
- Paul Young has created the first classic airport with the terminal created
in the new program Sketchup (easier than GMAX or FSDS)! I have created
a Sketchup Tutorial as well. Here
is Kansas City in 1958!
- Al Courtney has created Dayton OH in 1956 and St. Petersburg FL in 1957!
February 1, 2010
- Classic Era Charts now
available! Thanks to several generous people we now can see how the
airlines flew into various airports back in our era. There are also airport
- EditVoicePack file update!
I have added many callsigns, etc. to the EVP file for the Classic AI Traffic.
This caused some very minor updates to aircraft files 1, 4, 5, and 6 and the
January 18, 2010
- Updated AI Traffic Package!
We have added new planes and over 200 new liveries to the package!
- New Scenery! Kenny Fox has created
Roanoke VA in 1956!
- Updated Planes! I've updated the DC-6
and DC-7 panels with improved fuel and oil handling.
This unfortunately requires you to download and install all DC-6,
DC-6A, DC-6B, DC-7, DC-7B,
and DC-7C Base Packs again. Don't forget to back up
the aircraft.cfg files if you have added any liveries to the planes!
January 13, 2010
- New Plane! Hans Hermann has painted up Manfred's new L-749
into the white top TWA scheme!
January 6, 2010
- Happy New Year!
- New Scenery! Paul Young and I
have backdated Gary Widup's modern St. Louis airport scenery to 1962!
November 15, 2006
- New Tutorial! FSAviator has created a vintage
flying tutorial, for aircraft like the Ford Trimotor! It also includes
a flight dynamics tweak for the Trimotor!
July 29, 2004
- New Tutorial Quick Reference
File! FSAviator and I have created a Quick Reference guide for use
when actually flying an airliner route, using the techniques explained in
his tutorial (below). However, you must have read and understood the entire
tutorial first before you will be able to use the quick reference file.
July 20, 2004
- New FSAviator Propliner Tutorial!
This is it! The only tutorial written that describes in complete detail how
to fly the propliners like they really were flown in the classic era (from
1932 up to about 1955 in the USA, later in other areas). Most information
is completely applicable for flying in later years as well. It comes in text
file format, and includes 5 parts:
- General Operation of Propliners
- Flying the Ranges
- Flight Planning for Long and Short Distance Flights
This is an exhaustive tutorial that takes you through the details of each
phase of flight, and comes complete with approach plates for visual aids
(Adobe Acrobat required to view/print approach plates). The complete tutorial
is 1.1 MB. I printed it, read it, and now keep it by my computer for ready
reference! Copyright FSAviator July 2004.
June 15, 2002
- The California Classic page has a new home! We've
moved into our new home - www.calclassic.com, and I hope
that you like it.
March 14, 2000
- The Classic Airliner Page has become the California Classic Propliners
page! Same address as below.
January 18, 1996
- The Classic Airliner Page is born! Its original address
Jets are for kids!
Instructions for many problems and how to install aircraft, panels, and
Hi! I'm Tom Gibson, and I hope you enjoy my page.
If you have any questions, don't forget to check the Instructions
first!! You can get many questions answered by leaving a message
at the California
Classic Forum (propliner questions) or the FreeFlight
Forum (aircraft design questions). You can also send me email - this
is a despammed address - remove the
first t from the address!!
My other interests include railroads (especially Alco
diesels and the WP), computers, camping, fly fishing, and Modoc County (far
northeast California). Drop by again - soon!
when Cal Classic changes!